Senior and Veteran Exemption

Colorado Senior Property Tax Exemption
In 2000, voters amended the Colorado Constitution with the adoption of Section 3.5 of Article X. The amendment, and subsequent legislation, created a property tax exemption for two groups of people: a) qualifying seniors and b) the surviving spouses of seniors who previously qualified.

There are three basic requirements:

1) the qualifying senior must be at least 65 years old on January 1 of the year in which he/she qualifies;

2) the qualifying senior must be the owner of record, and must have been the owner of record for at least ten consecutive years prior to January 1;

3) the qualifying senior must occupy the property as his/her primary residence, and must have done so for at least ten consecutive years prior to January 1.

For those who qualify, 50 percent of the first $200,000 of actual value of the property is exempted. The state will pay the exempted property tax. If you own multiple residences, only one can be designated as your primary residence.

Two application forms have been created for the exemption. The "Short Form" is intended for qualifying seniors that meet each of the requirements stated above. The "Long Form" must be used by individuals applying under the surviving spouse option and for applicants applying as the qualifying senior who fall within certain exceptions to the occupancy and ownership requirements.  Applicants whose property is owned by a trust for estate planning purposes must submit the Long Form.

The application deadline for either form is July 15 of the year for which you are seeking exemption. The exemption must be applied for only once, and remains until property ownership changes. The state will decide yearly if this exemption is to be in effect.

We have application forms available in the office. Please stop by or call and we will be happy to mail one to you. It is also available on the state web site Click here for senior exemption forms.

Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemption
There is a similar exemption for Disabled Veterans. This must be applied for through the Colorado Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Division of Veterans Affairs. You may call 303-284-6077 to request an application and for more information or click here for disabled veterans exemption application.

Gilpin County | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2019 West Corporation.